Tuesday, March 6, 2012

a bee on a hot brick

an endearing book
In the midst of trying to keep up with a long, unruly (and growing) list of things to do, I've been reading An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor, and really enjoying it.  I like it so much that I can't help but read it before I go to sleep... even on the nights when I'm crawling into bed at 2 a.m.  It's comforting tinkering around the Northern Irish village of Ballybucklebo with two doctors and their mild mischief and all the little quirks of small town life... except the scene of Jenny Murphy giving birth.  I really almost fainted with the descriptions of the delivery of her baby.  The book is full of colorful Irish figures of speech, for instance, "What's the matter?  You have a face on you like a bulldog that's just licked piss off a nettle" or, "I've been going around today like a bee on a hot brick."
one of my new Spring pillows!

No comments:

Post a Comment