Wednesday, June 12, 2013

windows open

Today was a good day.  I got good things done in the morning, and then had just one student over for painting in the afternoon.  While I was waiting for her bus to come, I stood in the shade of a catalpa tree.  I'd never seen their blooms before... orchid-like, and they smell really good!  It was spell-binding when the elementary school bus arrived... the many heads and bodies and arms jostling around in the seats, all the exuberant voices spilling out of the open windows.  We drank iced tea with fresh mint while she painted, and we talked about all sorts of things, like funny dreams we've had and how easy it is to get mad when you're hungry.  After class, I sprayed myself down with homemade bug repellent and drove over to do my current odd job... tending vegetable gardens.  I uprooted weeds with a hoe for 2 hours.  No, I didn't pack water.  Yes, I sweat profusely.  After I put the hoe away, I thoroughly enjoyed washing my arms and feet and face off in cold water from the outdoor spigot.  I drove home in the dusk, dazed but happy, and when I was walking toward my front porch, I saw a rabbit reclined out cat-like on its side in the lawn, with its ears pricked straight up.  It looked so contented to be resting there in the low evening light.  As soon as I got into my house, I drank three glasses of water in a row.  I guess it's kinda sick, but I really like that feeling when you get so thirsty that water tastes heavenly and after you finish drinking you can hardly catch your breath.  I took a shower and ate a big salad.  And then I ate some junior mints that I had in the freezer.  (Anybody reading this might like to put a box of junior mints in their freezer too?!)  This is a picture I took from my kitchen window just before the sun sank below the horizon.  I love having open windows and I'm reluctant to enter air conditioning season, which I know is almost upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment