Tuesday, August 20, 2013

a moment to be still








These are pictures from May... when the peonies were in full bloom, and it had just gotten warm enough to open up all the windows and have the ceiling fan on all day and night.  I'd been lying on my couch eating a coconut poscicle in a rare moment of stillness before my painting students were due to arrive, and I decided that after I finished the popscicle I would get out my camera and take some pictures to remember the serenity and happiness I felt while sitting quietly in the spring sun and shadows in my apartment.  Now it is late August, and the crickets have already started their nighttime singing, heralding the coming of Fall.  Here are some nice thoughts if you have a moment to be still:

"The true secret of happiness lies in the taking a genuine interest of all the details of daily life." 
-- William Morris

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."
-- Virginia Woolf

"Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that, but simply growth.  We are happy when we are growing."
-- William Butler Yeats




No comments:

Post a Comment