Tuesday, January 29, 2013

nine of spades



























I found this teeny tiny nine of spades card on the edge of the sidewalk while walking through town with my grandma yesterday.  It's only 1" x 1.5" and came from a deck that some little kid maybe got from one of those quarter machines at the grocery store and then threw out of the back of a minivan window.  But even so, I like it a lot.  I love finding things on walks.  You never know what you might get.  It could be something helpful, like money or a brand new roll of tape (yes, I've found considerable amounts of money while walking, and also a brand new roll of tape, just after having thought to myself how I needed some).  You can also find mysterious things that make you wonder... for example when I was living in Ireland, I found two big, gaudy faux pearl buttons from what must've been an old lady's cardigan.  I found them on different paths on different days in the same village.  How did that happen?!  Then of course when you're out in the woods you can find things left behind by animals instead of people, like feathers or porcupine quills (of course not in Virginia).  It's always a pleasant surprise... I like to think of it as a kind of ongoing scavenger hunt orchestrated by your guardian angel... little messages and presents left for you to find and appreciate.  So, just for fun, of course I had to look up the meaning of the nine of spades in card fortune telling.  And it did resonate with thoughts and feelings I've been having lately.  How fun!!

No comments:

Post a Comment