Thursday, February 21, 2013

super delicious gluten-free peanut butter cookies!

 Today was a very good day - productive and smooth-flowing... somehow things seemed to fall into place of their own accord, and lots got done.  In the morning I rode my bike over to a man's house on the other side of the block.  I've been helping him clear the lot next to his, which has been neglected for a long time, and he and his wife recently purchased.  I've been getting lots of good exercise there.  I even use a  kind of rotary blade that is somewhat similar to a weed-eater, except int stead of string, a steel blade spins at the end.  I've been using it to eradicate ivy that has spread a thick, vine carpet along and over the embankment that stretches along the property line.  There are countless rocks and bricks and all sorts of debris mixed in with the ivy.  Anyway, not long after I got there at 8:30 this morning, I found myself in the grips of a major bout of cramps.  I considered telling the man I was going to have to go home, but I wasn't sure how I would word it, and I wanted to go forward with the job.  I remembered reading anecdotes from much older women who claimed that the best thing to do when overcome with menstrual cramps is to chop wood.  So today I tried out that approach.  Sure enough, by the time I was drenched in sweat, I wasn't in pain anymore!  (Well, except for my upper body... and I might end up looking like an amateur body builder by the time this derelict lot is all cleaned up!!)

While at the grocery store later today, I bought the yellow roses (pictured above) for my table.  My whole living room smells like them, which is very uplifting!
 In between chores and painting, I enjoyed the sunlight in my apartment.  And I also made peanut butter cookies.  This is a recipe from my wonderful friend Nora.  It is very, very simple.
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 large egg white
1 t. backing soda
1/4 cup chopped peanuts
1 t. vanilla extract
Mix it all up thoroughly, form into balls (about ping pong size) and mash with fork tines.  Makes about 15 hunky cookies.  Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.  Leave them on the tray to cool.  They are very brittle until they are completely cool.  And beware - they are deathly rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment