Wednesday, August 1, 2012

the edible food fest in orange

 I'm going to be a vendor at the Food Fest in Orange on August 11th.  I think it's going to be really exciting... delicious food, Joel Salatin as a speaker, a celebration of Edna Lewis, handmade cutting boards, real Virginia maple syrup... you can read all about it here.
I'm using my fabrics to make all kinds of table and kitchen wares, including a few one-of-a-kind aprons.  Here's the beginning of one.  The skirt of the apron was a beautiful vintage apron that some woman lovingly made a long time ago.  I think it is probably old feed sack material, trimmed in a dainty yellow gauze.  She had made the apron strings with the same gauze.  I removed her strings and added some sturdier ones I made out of my own fabric, added a bib (because I only really use bib aprons... skirt aprons can be beautiful, and good for drying your hands... but they don't offer any coverage in the area most vulnerable when you're cooking and baking).  And I put a little moth patch on the pocket to coordinate with the bib.  Sorry I don't have a picture of the complete apron yet, just these in-progress pictures. 

 I'm also going to be selling lavender dryer sachets - filled with lavender my mom and I grew and dried!  These are great for tossing in the dryer with your linens if you want them to smell extra-sweet.
And I'll also have folded note cards for sale.  These are 3 out of a set of 6.

P.S.  - I finally got my phone line hooked up on Monday and have used my rotary phone a lot already.  I've had several real conversations, plus a call from the Star Exponent... after I answered, the salesman asked if my mom or dad were home....  I said no and hung up.  I guess there is one benefit to having a juvenile-sounding voice!  And then I've had lots and lots of wrong numbers... someone looking for Russell, someone trying to reach Dr. Silvester, someone else calling for Tina, and another request for a person whose name I've forgotten because it was so early in the morning.  All of this in just 3 days.  What kind of phone number have I been assigned?!?  It must have a long history.  It's awfully exciting though... you can't have caller ID on a rotary phone, so you never know who might be on the other end of the line!

No comments:

Post a Comment